Scripture Union (SU) Ghana is a national, autonomous, Evangelical Christian organisation. It is the largest Para-Church organisation in Ghana. According to the archives – ‘Children’s Special Service Mission (March 1890) – Scripture Union Ministry reached Ghana (Gold Coast) around 1889-1890. However, the development of SU in Ghana really dates from the early 1950s when some expatriate teachers and people in business began vacation camps for students. The young Christians from these camps needed help back in their schools and colleges as they began to form groups, and Nigel Sylvester was sent from England as the first full-time staff worker in 1955.
The number of groups grew, the camps continued and expanded. An advisory committee was formed to give leadership and strategic direction. In 1965, SU Ghana became autonomous with its own governing council – an independent member of the worldwide SU family.
By 1969, there were three travelling staff based in Accra, Kumasi and Tamale. In 1972, the Head Office building on Castle Road, Accra, was completed. By 1975, this was the base for the General Secretary, three of the four travelling staff and three other office staff. In the Regional Capitals, SU Committees were established first in Accra, Kumasi, Cape Coast, Takoradi, then Tamale and Koforidua, then in Ho and Sunyani. By 1975, only the Upper Region was without one.
Currently, SU Regional Committees operate in all Regions (except Upper East, whose work is overseen by the Northern Regional Committee) and works with full-time staff located in all these Regions.
SU Ghana is a member of Scripture Union International. Scripture Union International started on June 2, 1867, in the UK with Josiah Spiers. Today, Scripture Union is active in over 120 countries.